Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob G[_3_] Rob G[_3_] is offline

Default Anyone got any experience with contactors ?

On 13 Aug, 17:58, Harry Bloomfield
wrote:
robgraham wrote:
I bought a second hand woodworking lathe some months ago which came
with an ABB contactor switch (type A12-30-10). *I didn't consider it
necessary to have a contactor and an 2kw electronic controller for the
lathe, so re-directed the starter for driving my circular saw. *This
had a contactor in a home made box so there was an attraction in
having a pukka device.

The reason it has a contactor, may be for safety reasons - as in a no
volt release, so it doesn't start up when power is restored.

Check the coil voltage is the correct voltage and ac or dc. Check it
actually on the mains supply rather than fed from an inverter. I also
once came across a sluggish contactor which was sluggish because it was
choked up with oily wood shavings.

--
Regards,
* * * * Harry (M1BYT) (L)http://www.ukradioamateur.co.uk

Interesting point, Harry. I will check the power failure handling
tomorrow.

I would like to think that the electronics is programmed to not
restart the motor after a power failure. On the other hand it may
well be a user programmable option - fan drives might for instance be
better if they restarted automatically whereas machines like lathes
would not.

Rob