Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking
Jack Stein Jack Stein is offline

Default Best way to cut vertical slots through round posts?

Mike Marlow wrote:

Penned in animals tend to respect their boundaries. 1 x X has been used to
pen in cattle, horses, pigs, and every other form of creature forever.
Sure, they can get through it, but they can blast right through barbed wire
too. And electric fences.

Yes, I've seen this a million times. If it were me, I'd either use
Swingmans idea, which seems the cheapest and easiest to install, or I'd
buy posts with mortises already in them, something like this:

(http://www.postsaverusa.com/fence-posts.html

For sure, I would not make a zillion mortises with a router. A chain
mortiser would be a must.

I probably would seriously consider an electric wire along the fence to
keep those big galoots off the fence, so the fence would be more for
looks than to keep a ton of horse contained.

Between me and the golf course I regularly go there is an old homestead
that has horses. The front "yard" is about 50 acres that boarders the
road that takes me to the golf course. Occasionally there are several
horses grazing in the front yard. There is NO fence. About a foot or
less off the ground there is a wire, one wire with white ribbons tied to
it. It does not appear to be those buried sonic things that keep dogs
in, because one, it ain't buried, and two, I've seen horses grazing
right along side the fence. The road is very busy with a 45 mph speed
limit and the average speed is at least 50mph. The horses could just
step over the "fence" A two year old baby could step over the fence.
I've never seen anything like this and always wonder WTF? Apparently
these folks know what they are doing, but it always makes me nervous
when I drive past and a horse is near the "fence". It makes me crazy to
see this and not know what the trick is.

All I know about horses is what I used to see on the Saturday morning
cowboy shows when I was a kid, and that they are far harder to ride than
it looks...

--
Jack
Using FREE News Server: http://www.eternal-september.org/