Andy Dingley

Default James Krenov and art furniture

On Tue, 11 Nov 2003 20:53:10 -0800, charlie b
wrote:

- Nakashima would use pieces with splits and crack - spanning
them with a couple of bow ties if they threatened the
integrity of the surface.
- Krenov doesn't usually leave cracks and splits in his
finished pieces

I'm sure I've seen at least one Krenov cabinet with slab doors where
one (or both) had a vertical split all the way through - and delicate
tiny strips across it to constrain it. However it was still clearly a
slab of _timber_ not "wood". The edges were absolutely square, the
joinery was perfect. The split was merely a more-developed form of
the typical Krenov feature of a colour stripe of highly figured wood.

Nakashima made furniture from trees, Krenov made it from timber, the
regularised product of sawmills.

- Nakashima seemed to keep the woodworking to the absolue
minimum (his chairs being a minor exception)

Agreed - bit odd really, how naturalistic his tables were, and how
'70s space-station-futurist his chairs were. Although he never really
followed any overall design tradition, the chairs were a complete
rejection of traditional woodworking approaches and had more in common
with architecture and concrete work.

Something I plan to make one day is a Conoid chair for outdoor use -
in reinforced concrete.

I've also got the elm seat slab for a wooden Conoid waiting here -
manyana.