Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob G[_3_] Rob G[_3_] is offline

Default Anyone got any experience with contactors ?

On 13 Aug, 13:41, PeterC wrote:
On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 02:26:24 -0700 (PDT), Rob G wrote:
If the coil was 24v it would be toast now - possibly though it is
415v?????

AWEM

It looks like my mistake !! *Everything pointed to this being a 240v
set up, but I've now noticed a '440v' which I hadn't spotted before
and didn't in all truth look for ! *Doubly confirmed by checking the
coil resistances - 1770R and 800R.

I bought the whole lathe and controller package at quite a good price
from a guy who was a metal working enthusiast who had gone into wood
turning. *He didn't actually say so but I think he gave up in disgust
as there were so many things wrong with the electrical/electronics
that I wonder if he ever actually got the lathe working properly - and
this contactor is another anomaly !

Sure the lathe isn't 3 phase? :-)
--
Peter.
it's been flattened with an angel-grinder.

Yes it is - 240v 3ph from a 1 to 3ph inverter. As I said I really
don't understand how the seller ever got this system working - the
starter switch fed the inverter with the emergency switch killing the
starter: crude when the inverter has all these facilities in it.

Thoroughly recommend these inverters - once you've gone up the
required learning curve they really are great for running a 3 ph motor
at variable speed.

Rob