Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default Anyone got any experience with contactors ?

Rob G wrote:
On 13 Aug, 08:02, "Andrew Mawson"
wrote:
"BigWallop" wrote in message

om...

robgraham wrote:
I bought a second hand woodworking lathe some months ago which came
with an ABB contactor switch (type A12-30-10). I didn't consider it
necessary to have a contactor and an 2kw electronic controller for
the lathe, so re-directed the starter for driving my circular saw.
This had a contactor in a home made box so there was an attraction
in having a pukka device.

I'd checked the new contactor's operation sometime back and was a
bit suspicious that it was a bit sluggish in pulling in. This is
now confirmed when connected to the 2kw motor for the saw.
Sometimes it will operate OK and the saw starts up fine, otherwise
there is a lot of chattering, sparking, chuntering from the saw
motor and nothing happens.

I jury rigged the original contactor to see if it is something to
do with the change of site and it operates fine - pulls in
perfectly each time.

This is a 240v single phase system.

Anyone any ideas before I go the the bother of fitting the old, and
operating, contactor into the 'new' starter box, and dumping the
'new' one.

Thanks
Rob

Have you checked that the coil voltage is actually 240Vac / dc and
not 24Vac / dc?

Is this contactor dual 1ph and 3ph operable? (3pole - 4pole
construction)

Did you mark and copy the exact wiring plan / configuration before
you transfered the contactor?

So many questions, so little knowledge of this particular peice of
equipment. :-)

If the coil was 24v it would be toast now - possibly though it is
415v?????

AWEM

It looks like my mistake !! Everything pointed to this being a 240v
set up, but I've now noticed a '440v' which I hadn't spotted before
and didn't in all truth look for ! Doubly confirmed by checking the
coil resistances - 1770R and 800R.

I bought the whole lathe and controller package at quite a good price
from a guy who was a metal working enthusiast who had gone into wood
turning. He didn't actually say so but I think he gave up in disgust
as there were so many things wrong with the electrical/electronics
that I wonder if he ever actually got the lathe working properly - and
this contactor is another anomaly !

My apologies for having bothered you. A case of jumping in with
'phone a friend' before thinking it out yourself !

Now to find a solution !

Rob

The only thing I can think of is this
http://www.isomatic.co.uk/3phConverter.htm But it's very expensive. :-(