Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default long reach hedge cutters

In article ,
jim writes:
On 8 Aug, 10:22, (Andrew Gabriel) wrote:
Anyone any comments on the available long reach hedge cutters?
I currently have a fir hedge (fortunately not fast growing)
which is a very square cut 3m tall and 2m wide, which I cut
with a normal electric hedge trimmer whilst balancing on a
step ladder (quite a stretch to do the top). Was watching a
gardener with a long reach hedge trimmer doing someone's garden,
and thinking to myself, that's definately the way to go. I would
probably be after a mains electric one (installed outdoor sockets
for cutting the hedge ages ago).

Stihl make an excellent 4stroke general purpose m/c with a long (very)
'pole' handle. Several models. It takes various attachments including
a hedgecutter blade which can tilt some +90deg to - 45deg. You can
cut the flat top of a 2m high just by walking along. Higher if you
go for an angled top. Usual strimmer/brush cutter attachments + more.

Recommended with provisos - expensive (but quality high); weight is
near the limit of what I am comfortable with for lengthy use (?5Kg);
although 4 stroke it uses a 2 stroke mixture; can be more awkward to
use than the normal style hedgecutter for a length of plain hedge but
can deal with more awkward situations.

After reading specs, I decided to go for a Stihl HLE71K electric
one. However, after contacting several of their resellers, Stihl
seem to have ****ed them all off so much they're all trying to
push you other brands instead (Stihl won't let them sell on the
Internet anymore).

Oh well, back to review specs of other makes instead.

--
Andrew Gabriel