Posted to sci.electronics.repair
root root is offline

Default WTF with my computer clock?

isw wrote:

What the NTP process does is essentially to monitor the local clock
compared to a reference to understand just what its errors are, and
synthesize a "perfect" clock from it. The synthesized clock can remain
within a few microseconds (or better) of a reference timekeeper all the
time.

Isaac

Maybe that works if you leave the computer on all the time. I started
the ntpd daemon early in the morning and by late afternoon the time
was, once again, way the hell off. Since I only care one time, one
day a week what the time is I have set up crontab entries to do the
job.