Posted to uk.d-i-y
Peter Parry Peter Parry is offline

Default Carpet steam cleaner?

On Thu, 13 Aug 2009 13:17:03 +0100, "Tim Downie"
wrote:

We've got some grime in our carpets that just doesn't seem to want to shift
with regular carpet cleaning chemicals and I was wonder about investing in a
steam cleaner (perhaps one like this http://preview.tinyurl.com/o22vhh).

Does anyone have any experience of this model or similar machines?

That one appears to be the higher pressure sort which are somewhat
better than the low pressure ones. As carpet cleaners they are a pain
to use. You wrap a towel cloth or supplied pad around the larger
cleaner head and do about a square foot of carpet after which you
change the toweling or pad and go on repeating the process until you
loose the will to live or watching Neighbours on TV becomes an
attractive alternative.

A proper carpet cleaner will be far better. Steam cleaners don't get
out dirt at the root of the fibres but just clean the top surface (not
particularly well). Be very careful if using them on upholstery with
a velvet type finish as they can alter the nap direction and leave
very obvious marks which last for ever.

They are good for kitchen tiles and engine component degreasing.