Posted to rec.woodworking
Charlie Groh Charlie Groh is offline

Default Best way to cut vertical slots through round posts?

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 23:40:00 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Aug 12, 7:40*pm, Charlie Groh wrote:
On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 15:46:48 -0700 (PDT), wrote:
On Aug 12, 10:35*am, Charlie Groh wrote:
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 10:09:55 -0700 (PDT), "SonomaProducts.com"

wrote:
A router is going to be about the fastest. Drilling will take way to
long. Just make a u shaped channel that you can drop the posts into on
top of a table. Plunge and route. You can use a small level to draw a
line across one end of the post, then it is easy to rotate it 180
degrees and do the cuts from eaither side. Just mark the channel where
you want the cuts. You could even build stops for real accuracy.

On Aug 11, 5:29*am, Wood Guy wrote:
A friend wants to build a fence using round, 6" diam cedar posts and 1"
x 6" pine or spruce boards.

He wants to cut slots through the center of the posts (3 slots) that are
just large enough to slide the boards through. *There are going to be
lots of posts - maybe 100 or more.

How would you go about forming these slots? *What sort of tool?

...I'd set up my PC *box-lock mortiser and knock 'em out pretty
quickly...but only *after* the posts are in the ground! *Trying to
pre-bore or pre cut fence posts is a potential disaster...get 'em in
the ground, run some strings and cut 'em all to height at once...then
make a jig or two and you're in business.

cg- Hide quoted text -

I may be missing something here, and I agree with you about the
potential disaster, but after getting them in the ground how are you
going to put the boards in place. *As I see it you will have to bow
the boards out to get them to clear the edge of the post and fit in
the mortise. Just my thoughts.

Al

...oops, you're right there, pardner! *Maybe set every *other* post,
then you'd have a good shot at assembling and setting!

cg- Hide quoted text -

Charlie,

You will need a generator to run your router or a long extension
cord. I think that a better alternative would be to either overlap
the boards or put one on each side of the fence and bolt them in
place. A lot more forgiving pattern, but doesn't look as classy.

Al

AL-

....well, I'm with you, Al...I wouldn't go to all that trouble to build
a sturdy fence to contain livestock anyhow! Just trying to solve an
interesting problem...hardware works!

cg