Posted to uk.d-i-y
BigWallop[_2_] BigWallop[_2_] is offline

Default RCD's

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Hi

Could someone clarify the difference between an RCD & a RCCD or is it
just different terminology?

I'm also a little confused about MCB's. For example;

Regular customer just around the corner to me asked me to look at why
her washing machine causes a 'trip' to operate.

Socket checked out OK (with one of the plug in testers), plug & fuse
fine so obviously a fault with the WM. Advised the customer to get
the WM checked out.

It was the RCCD tripping, not the MCB for the kitchen circuit.

AIUI an RCD/RCCD reacts to current leaking from live to earth and an
MCB reacts to excessive current.

In the case above the RCCD tripped turning off the kitchen circuit but
leaving all the others in the house on.

So, does an RCCD only protect a circuit where there is a high risk -
like a kitchen, or would it trip if any circuit in the house
developed a live to earth fault? And how do you know which circuit
its protecting?

Have a look at this page http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/5.9.1.htm for
help on this.