Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default I told you so: Taliban winning in Afghanistan

Bob F wrote:
HeyBub wrote:

Before 9-11, there was, on average, one or two attacks on U.S.
interests overseas every year (the first WTC bombing, the USS Cole,
the bombing of our embassies in Kenya and elsewhere, kidnapping or
killing of U.S. ambassadors, etc.). Since 2001 there has not be a
single successful attack on either the U.S. or U.S. interests abroad.

Really. I heard reports that thousands of Americans have been
murdered in Iraq and Afganistan.

We just gave them more convenient targets. Why should them come here
when they can kill us there.

Our warrior class consists of volunteers who knew the risks. They joined up
in spite of the possible downsides. In this regard, they are no different
from sky divers, mountain climbers, race car drivers, marriage, and other
hazardous endeavors.

However, our military folks get the opportunity to kill people and blow
things up. That's probably why there are more of them than race car drivers.

As for "convient targets" it's called the "flypaper effect." We've
attracted - and killed - most of the mental defectives.

My favorite example in Iraq was a group of "tacticals" in a pick-up truck
with a .50 cal BMG mounted on the bed. Here they come, lickey-split
miles-per-hour, spraying bullets. At an Abrams.

The immediately went to Paradise, along with a carburetor, three tires, and
a radiator cap (there was no mention of the CD player).

If you ask the typical warrior why he's doing what he's doing, he's likely
to say:

We march.

For our lands. For our families. For our freedom.

We march.

Into the Hot Gates we march. Into that narrow corridor we march. Where
Xerxes numbers count for nothing.

Spartans. Citizen soldiers, freed slaves, free Greeks all.

Brothers. Fathers. Sons.

We march.

For honor's sake. For duty's sake. For glory's sake.

We march.

Into Hell's mouth we march.

In reality, it's fun. Kinda like bowling.