Posted to alt.home.repair
Rick Brandt Rick Brandt is offline

Default lawn edger

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 05:57:01 -0700, Smitty Two wrote:

In article ,
aemeijers wrote:

If yer lookin for that manicured look, a step-on edging tool is the
cheapest solution. Basically a sharpened half-moon on a stick. Make
sure the handle is long enough- I'm 6-3, and mine gives me a backache.
(Why are garden tools all sized for 5-2 women?)

--
aem sends...

In this case, the manicured look is needed to prevent the neighbors from
scorning us. But, I'm not looking for the cheapest solution, I'm looking
for the easiest ...

Then you want a real edger. Mine is a four-stroke 3/5 HP unit with a
belt driven blade. Just walk slowly and guide it by listening for the
scraping of concrete. No effort and no back-and-forth crap (like I used
to do with an electric edger). Cleaning up the debris with a blower is
the hardest part of the job.

Many people trim along their concrete with a string trimmer. I am
certain it is better than doing nothing and I am certain that most are
completely satisfied with the look they achieve....BUT, it's not edging
in my opinion.