Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default Ridiculous FHA rules

wrote in :

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 11:08:44 -0700, Smitty Two
wrote:

In article ,
"Oscar" wrote:

wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 21:28:12 -0400, "Oscar"
wrote: Nothing in that addendum legally compels the seller to fix
anything unless he wants to complete the sale. If the seller wants
out, all he has to do is... NOTHING. He cannot be forced to fix so
much as a dripping faucet if he decides he doesn't want to
complete the sale.

Good grief, now I have to explain what an addendum is. No, I won't
be a teacher here. Read the top, let it soak in. Then read the
entire addendum, not what you just want to read. Maybe pay
particular attention to item 6, now you have to know what REPC is,
well I do, and you apparently do not.

The didn't start fixing stuff on their own, obviously after going
through offers/counter offers, then acceptance, they started their
painting.

I don't know **** about FHA, haven't read the links, and don't want
to, but until someone says why the seller can't just *walk away from
the sale,* I'm going to have to side with the salted dog here.

Did the seller actually sign something that says he *WILL* fix the
paint issue, or did he only sign something that says he *WILL* fix the
paint issue *IF* he wants the sale to close? There's a world of
difference between the two.

What if the alleged problem can't reasonably be fixed? Does the seller
go to jail? I don't think so!

Well, they could make him watch Oprah until he does.

The OP's problem can't be fixed because the inspector refuses to tell
him what needs fixing until an envelope with cash is left where
instructed.

The seller can simply refuse to go along with requests made by the
buyer.

So far, the initial inspection said the paint had to be sealed. That
was done and now the inspector still won't pass it. I'd say that means
the seller made a good faith effort, and that can easily be the end of
the deal without any repercussions.