Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default radiator sizes

Stephen wrote:

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 12:49:54 +0100, "Roger Mills"
wrote:

You need to do it as several bits - just as you would an L-shaped
room - and add them together. So you'll have a downstairs bit, an
upstairs bit and a two-storey bit where the stairs are. Obviously
where two bits meet in fresh air, you need to create a 'wall' which
has a U value of zero - but the temperature will be the same on both
'sides', so it doesn't really matter.

That's what I thought but I wanted to double check: I am doing the
right thing by specifying the hall radiator to heat all of the hall,
stairs, and landing?

Yes.

The stair section will be triangular because at the bottom of the
stairs the height is two storeys but at the top it is only one. What
is the best way around this? Use a measurement of half the base x the
height?

It's not an exact science - don't worry too much! Just imagine the
rectangular 2-storey space you would have if you removed the staircase, and
regard that as one 'room'. Then treat what's left of the ground floor hall
as another 'room' and what's left of the first floor landing as a third
room - and add all 3 heat losses together.

I had a look at the heatingshop url you gave but their web site is
confusing; it would be easier if you didn't have to add supplements
depending if you bought a single, double, or one and a half size
radiator.

I don't remember anything like that when I bought from them - but mine was
only a single-panel finned rad. Can you give an example of what you mean by
pointing to a particular page on their site?

BTW did you see the reply from Quinn; what did you think?

It stretched my credulity a little!
--
Cheers,
Roger