Posted to uk.d-i-y
Rob G[_3_] Rob G[_3_] is offline

Default Building your own shed/workshop

On 12 Aug, 09:54, Tim S wrote:
This one's at the budgeting stage right now...

Next year, I would like to build my own workshop from scratch - simple
timber construction, insulated and very very strong. I need a weird shape
to avoid planning issues (the 5m rule from house rule - I need a chopped
off 45 degree corner on one bit) so standard offerings are unlikely to be
much good. And it will be fun to build something structural from scratch

Any tips on a good source of wood that's solid, stable and inexpensive?

(I reckon I would need a few 6x2's for the floor beams, 4x2" or 3x3 for roof
and walls and something to clad the outside).

I was thinking decking timber for the structural bits and the floors as it's
fairly ubiquitous. Is there a better source and how much might I expect to
pay per metre for say 4x2" ish (so I know what to shoot for).

The whole thing will sit on brick or concrete bearer walls so I can store
long things (ladders) underneath and get good airflow. I'll be insulating
it and lining the inside walls too.

Ta

Tim

Tim
There was a query here on the 7th August on "Concrete base -
reinforcement" to which I gave a fairly extensive reply on shed
building based on 30 plus years of maintaining and building sheds.
That may be of use to you.

I did get a hard time from a similarly aged friend recently for my
over-engineering on the grounds that he wanted his structure to last
the rest of his possible occupation of that house and beyond that he
didn't care. He did argue quite logically that he wasn't building a
shed for 2 generations hence !

Rob