Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe[_2_] Ron Lowe[_2_] is offline

Default Public Toilets - Press down taps

Steve Walker wrote:
On Sun, 09 Aug 2009 22:50:44 +0100, Bob Minchin wrote:

Cash wrote:
Lobster wrote:
John wrote:
The taps that you press down which should stay on for a while seem
to be the must unreliable item ever invented as they never seem to
work properly. I guess that with maintenance they can be adjusted
and set to work correctly. What is required to make the delay action
work? (I want to challenge
my local pub landlord to fix his)
They're known as 'percussion taps'. AFAIK some models have adjustable
timing and others don't - so if yours aren't working properly then
presumably it's fair to say that they either need adjusting or
replacing...
David
Or perhaps the pub landlord just wants to save on his water bills!

Infra red detector ones are best. They only switch on when a hand or
similar is in range.

Bob

I like the ones used in many food and food packaging factories - they have
the tap mechanism *under* the sink and it has an arm or plate that you push
with your knee and it springs back when released. Can't be left on (unless
someone deliberately sabotages them), doesn't cut-off until you're ready
and you have some control over the flow rate. It also means that you don't
have to touch the tap after you've cleaned your hands to either turn it off
or to rinse them (depending on tap type).

Following on from this, why do the doors to toilets open inwards? I don't
mean the cubicles, I mean the entrance to the toilet area. You wash and dry
your hands and then have to get hold of a handle that other people will
have used without washing their hands. If the door opened outwards, you
could just push against it with your shoulder. Having the door set in would
prevent passers-by being hit as it opened.

SteveW

*Hee Hee*

It's fairly common on offshore oil installations to have a wash-up area
in or near the changing rooms, to wash up before coming into the
accomodation module.

The wash-basin is sometimes a large trough thing, operated by a foot
treadle.

Lots of fun with new recruits... Clap hands, water comes on. Clap hands
again, water goes off. Recruit tries it: nothing. 'Na, you're doing
it all wrong. It's like *this*.' clap Water on. clap water off. Try
again. etc, etc.....

--
Ron