Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Prevent Plumbing Escutcheons From Rusting

On 8/12/2009 8:44 AM Tony spake thus:

Perry Aynum wrote:

Are there any tricks to preventing the $3 plumbing pipe escutcheons from the
BORG from rusting after 2 months?

There is nothing more annoying than doing a nice paint job on a bathroom,
only to have the escutheon covering the toilet water supply rust.

I tried using shellac, and it only bought me about a month.

Would polyurethane or spray lacquer work?

I don't really want to invest any more than $3 on a simple thing, and I
don't understand why they make this crap so cheaply. Bathrooms are
_supposed_ to be moist.

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/escutch.html

Hey, I learned a new term from that site: "smitty plate". But not sure
what exactly that is: a plate to cover up plumbing boo-boos?