Posted to alt.home.repair
blueman blueman is offline

Default lawn edger

aemeijers writes:

Smitty Two wrote:
In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
So the new place is in a civilized neighborhood, and I'm thinking
of acquiring a real edger. She has a manual type but it's tiring
to use. I edged once with the string trimmer but went through a
lot of string.

Craigslist has some used electric and gas powered edgers; I'm
inviting feedback on brands or styles to look for or avoid.
does your sidewalk have a whole mess of overgrowth? For the first
go-round I've found it easier to use a sidewalk scraper and just
cut through all the stuff at the edge of the sidewalk. edger is
really only good for neatening up after it's already relatively
neat.

Hmm, it's not too wild yet. Maybe an inch of overgrowth since I hit
it with the string trimmer about six weeks ago. I guess that
represents about two or more inches of grass growth, since I did
have a 1" (or thereabouts) dirt buffer.

If yer lookin for that manicured look, a step-on edging tool is the
cheapest solution. Basically a sharpened half-moon on a stick. Make
sure the handle is long enough- I'm 6-3, and mine gives me a
backache. (Why are garden tools all sized for 5-2 women?)

--

I'm 6-3 too... but I usually have to stand on it anyway to make a
clean, deep cut so the handle size doesn't bother me much.

It makes a neat cut but it is SLOW since you only can cut about 6
inches at a time (or less) since you need to overlap given the half
moon shape.