Posted to uk.d-i-y
Roger Mills Roger Mills is offline

Default Dispense with bell wire?

Yvonne wrote:

Two wires will be fine in 99.99% of cases - occasionally you will
find a phone that requires a bell wire - however inserting an ADSL
filter in the phone cord will usually solve this.

In that case would I be safe to assume that if I have an ADSL filter
at the NTE5 master socket ( eg I-plate) it will be OK in 100% of
cases?
Yvonne

Not necessarily - and certainly not for the reasons which you assume.

Firstly, an I-Plate *isn't* an ADSL filter per-se - it simply filters the
bell wire. If you're only using 2-conductor extension wiring - with no bell
wire - an I-Plate is pretty much a waste of space. However, because an
I-Plate isn't an ADSL filter, you *still* need plug-in filters at each
extension socket. So *they* will provide you with a ring signal on Pin 3
regardless of whether you have 2-wire or 3-wire extensions.

Now, if you have a *proper* filter at the NTE5 - i.e. a filtered faceplate
which splits the analog and digital signals at the point of entry - you
still have the choice of 2-wire or 3-wire analog extension wiring. You no
longer need plug-in filters to make ADSL work *but*, if using only using 2
wires, you may *still* need one or two plug-in filters to make your
extension phones ring, if you have any without their own ring capacitors.

Sorry that was a bit longer than "yes" or "no"!
--
Cheers,
Roger