Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Weston John Weston is offline

Default Dispense with bell wire?

In article cff06953-a5f1-4a92-adad-b05431d76834
@r38g2000yqn.googlegroups.com, "Yvonne" wrote:

Two wires will be fine in 99.99% of cases - occasionally you will find a
phone that requires a bell wire - however inserting an ADSL filter in the
phone cord will usually solve this. *

In that case would I be safe to assume that if I have an ADSL filter
at the NTE5 master socket ( eg I-plate) it will be OK in 100% of
cases?
Yvonne

An IPlate is NOT an ADSL filter!. It is designed only to reduce the
level of any interference signal picked up on the "pin-3" ring wire.
Hence, when this is coupled, via the ring capacitor, to one of the
signal pairs, the interference signal will, hopefully, be low enough not
to cause a problem for the ADSL modem.

If you install and ADSL filter in place of the removable faceplate of
the NTE5 master socket, e.g. www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php
then installing the pin-3 ring wire in the phone extension cables (and
never in an ADSL carrying extension cable) from the connectors on the
back of the faceplate will be OK in 99.999% of cases.

Even better, If you decide not to install the pin-3 ring wire in the
phone extension cables, then a UK sourced plug-in ADSL filter inserted
into the slave socket used by a non-ringing telephone should restore the
ringing. In this case, this filter isn't doing its normal job of
removing the ADSL signal from getting into the telephones. All it does
is restore the ringing signal on pin-3 of its output socket for the
local telephone.

--
John W
I you really want to mail me, replace the obvious with co.uk twice