Posted to uk.d-i-y
David David is offline

Default Cutting a "butchers block" style worktop

Wandering around BHS the other day, we found the ideal piece of
furniture to fill a gap in the kitchen. It's a trolley thing with a
drawer and a heavy "butcher's block" style worktop about 5 or 6 cm
thick.

Nice. The only thing is that the top is about 3cm too wide for the
gap, which we knew before we bought it but which I was sure I could
cut down. It just lifts off, so I can trim one side only.

Before I start, and to avoid a few weeks of life in the shed, I'd like
the opinion of the collective on the best way to do this.

Are there any pitfalls in cutting a piece of thick timber composed of
blocks of timber glued so that from above you're looking at end
grain? I'd be using a normal handsaw rather than a power tool.
Tips? (Note: I do not own, nor do I intend to acquire, an angle
grinder.

Ta

David