Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default lawn edger

In article ,
SMS wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
So the new place is in a civilized neighborhood, and I'm thinking of
acquiring a real edger. She has a manual type but it's tiring to use. I
edged once with the string trimmer but went through a lot of string.

Craigslist has some used electric and gas powered edgers; I'm inviting
feedback on brands or styles to look for or avoid.

I bought an electric edger at a garage sale for $5. It works fine now
that I removed the plate that covers the blade. With the cover on there
it quickly becomes clogged with dirt and grass.

I also tried a string trimmer as an edger and it doesn't work well. As
you stated, you go through a lot of string, and it's also difficult to
get the string where you want it to go.

So you and Mark both mentioned blade edgers, which is what I was
thinking about, but now a new question occurs: Do they chip away at the
edge of the concrete or asphalt?