Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default Separating an exhaust.

On Wed, 12 Aug 2009 09:26:48 +0100, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

I need to remove part of the exhaust on the old Rover to fit an oxygen
sensor boss. One end of the part disconnects easily - its a flange
coupling - but the other is the type where one pipe fits inside the other
to allow some adjustment for length. Which is then clamped. It's a SS
system and looks clean - so at least shouldn't be rusted up solid as steel
ones do. The car is on axle stands so access is a bit restricted.

I was wondering about grinding an SDS chisel blunt and seeing if the
hammer action works like an air chisel?

If you have reasonable access try the hammer tapping technique. Use a
light hammer - e.g. a tack hammer. Tap *gently* all round the perimeter of
the outer pipe, covering as much of the inserted section as possible. Try
not to dent the pipe - just vibrate it. Keep some 'pull' on the pipe
during the tapping if your arms are long enough.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door