Posted to uk.d-i-y
Lee Nowell Lee Nowell is offline

Default Building your own shed/workshop

On Aug 12, 10:56*am, Tim S wrote:
Airsource Ltd wibbled:

On 12 Aug, 09:54, Tim S wrote:
This one's at the budgeting stage right now...

Next year, I would like to build my own workshop from scratch - simple
timber construction, insulated and very very strong. I need a weird shape
to avoid planning issues (the 5m rule from house rule - I need a chopped

That rule doesn't exist anymore does it (at least in England)

http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/eng...315233153.html

Ah. So the old "5m means deduct from the permitted development volume of
house" rule is dead then?...

That's handy. I have a square garden with the bungalow in the middle so
getting any distance from the house is a challenge.

And I can have 15m2 if I keep it 1m from any boundary or 15m2 if I have
it closer.

Seems simple and fair[1]. TBH, 15m2 is pretty large and should be more than
enough as I'll have a couple of "sentry sheds" for garden tools elsewhere..

[1] Though I'm not sure what the deal is with verandas. Seems to count
against summer houses rather. If I need one I'll make it detachable
Balconies and raised decks I can understand.

Cheers

Tim

From memory, the new rules are even more relaxed. You best check on
the planning portal but believe that the size is not related to
distance from the boundary but is something like 50% of ther garden!!
The distance from the boundary does impact height though and whether
building regs is also required.

thanks

Lee.