Posted to uk.d-i-y
lardconcepts lardconcepts is offline

Default Dishwasher outflow - keep as 23mm if no standpipe? Manual says32mm standpipe needed

On Jul 9, 2:37*pm, lardconcepts wrote:
Long story cut short - very old building, second hand kitchen, new
dishwasher.
Without going into details, there are two good reasons for not being
able to run the recommended 32mm standpipe behind the cupboards and
through the 2'6" thick outer stone wall, in which a 23mm hole could
easily be made, but a 32mm one would be "a nightmare" (plus I'd have
to hack holes out of the back of the kitchen units.

One builder and one plumber can't see any way round it other than to
just have a 23mm wastepipe.

To follow this up, so you can all say "told you so!", after a couple
of quotes around £200, I decided to try it myself, and rented £30 of
drill and diamond core.

Started at 8pm, should've taken about an hour to go through the wall.

Except..rubble and stone wall. Once I'd put the extension bar on, it
was still going OK until it snagged on something. I'd been clearing it
regularly, taking it slow, letting it take it at it's own speed. I
tried to pull it back out, but what had happened was some rubble had
fallen onto the extension bar, trapping the drill.
I'd measured it, I was ONE INCH from the other side of a 20" wall.
Totall stuck, wouldn't move or rotate at all.

After about an hour of trying to free it, I got a grip wrench (the
motor / clutch was just stalling) and after much to-ing and fro-ing
managed to free it by using all my might, putting all 14 stone of me
on the wrench having propped it below so the force would be
rotational, not downwards.

It was about 11pm when it went "ping" and would turn again. However,
it just wasn't going any deeper now.
In hope and desperation, I just kept pushing for about half an hour,
but nothing. Probably one of the best ideas I've ever had struck me -
I went outside, felt for the "warm bit" on the wall (it was a cool
night), got a normal drill, drilled loads of little holes, and bust in
with a crowbar.

By 1am, I'd got the core drill out from the other side, fed the pipe
through,and inhaled enough dust to setup a small cement factory in my
lungs.
To my horror, I also found that in freeing the drill, I'd bust off one
of the diamon teeth. And this was a very expensive drill - even with
the hire place taking pity on me and only charging me cost price (he
showed me his trade list when I still baulked at the price) AND taking
into account discount of existing wear, the whole episode ended up
costing me £90 inc.

Bottom line is, I still saved over £110, however it's one learning
curve I don't ever want to repeat in a hurry!