Posted to uk.d-i-y
geraldthehamster geraldthehamster is offline

Default Bathroom ceiling paint question

On Aug 11, 9:04*pm, Syke wrote:
My bathroom ceiling is wood cladding which has been stained then
polyurethane varnished. *It's a fairly dark pine colour. *I want to
lighten it and have some Bathroom quality emulsion for it. *What would
be a suitable base for this, after a light sanding of course,bearing in
mind the colour change? *Would ordinary primer/undercoat be suitable, or
what?

Regards and thanks in advance

Syke

To be honest, I would be tempted to clean it, maybe roughen a little
by hand with some medium grit paper, then paint it with a bathroom
emulsion and see what happens. Emulsion is pretty tenacious in my
experience. Having sanded a number of exposed ceiling joists myself, I
suggest that you might choose to avoid using any kind of sanding
machine overhead for a prolonged period, unless you have strong arms!
There's also the mess. Using Nitromors overhead sounds like a truly
horrible idea.

Regards
Richard