Posted to uk.d-i-y
Bob Minchin[_2_] Bob Minchin[_2_] is offline

Default Separating an exhaust.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
I need to remove part of the exhaust on the old Rover to fit an oxygen
sensor boss. One end of the part disconnects easily - its a flange
coupling - but the other is the type where one pipe fits inside the other
to allow some adjustment for length. Which is then clamped. It's a SS
system and looks clean - so at least shouldn't be rusted up solid as steel
ones do. The car is on axle stands so access is a bit restricted.

I was wondering about grinding an SDS chisel blunt and seeing if the
hammer action works like an air chisel?

Get some graphite penetrating fluid in there the night before.
Loosen the clamp, remove flange end and try to apply rotation to that
end. Being SS I think it will move quite easily.
I feel that hitting it in whatever controlled way is likely to distort it.
Another way if that fails is to remove the clamp, run the engine to get
it nice an hot and then aim a hose at the joint. The shock might just
part it. Downside is that it will be hot and you wont be able to apply
any hand force on it.

Good Luck

Bob