EugeneC173

Default Tablesaw Safety question!

I have a Shop Fox 3hp cabinet saw equipped with an Osborne EB3 miter gauge with
a stop for repetitive cutting. The blade is aligned dead on parallel to the
miter slot using a calibration plate and dial indicator for reference. When
using the miter guage I am advancing the miter gauge and work piece until it is
cut. After the cut is completed, I retract the workpiece with miter gauge
towards me, I don't pass the board past the rear of the blade and then turn off
the saw. I feel kind of unsafe doing it this way because I do have a trapped
piece of wood risking a huge kickback. I see Norm do it the way I described
every week. I would like to have some opinions on this, how do you guys do it?
What is the normal method of crosscutting with a miter gauge? Incidently, there
is no play in the slot on the miter guage, Zero! TIA.......

Gene