Posted to sci.electronics.repair
isw isw is offline

Default WTF with my computer clock?

In article ,
"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote:

In article ,
William Sommerwerck wrote:
This is a chronic problem that seems to afflict all computers. I've
never owned a machine whose clock didn't lose time.

Well, yes, but surely only a few seconds a day?

Please don't call me surely.

Ok. How about Kali? The goddess of time?

I should have pointed out that 20 minutes a day is, indeed, unusual. But
computer clocks are notoriously inaccurate. And I've never seen one that
gained time.

Think you're right there. So perhaps there's a reason for it. They're
never going to be *that* accurate given the crystals they use.

The bottom line is that unless you synchronize it with a "reference"
timekeeper, it *will not* run at the correct rate. The only question is
how fast it will drift. NTP clients (*good* ones) can deal with the
problem amazingly well, but only if the host's network connection is
pretty much continuous and the host essentially does not sleep.

Isaac