Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default OT - cell phone advice

wrote:
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 08:53:24 -0400, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:

My parents are still able to drive, go shopping, eat out,
and so on. But, there have been a couple moments when the
car broke down. Or, one was out, and the other didn't know
why it was taking so long. I suggested they get a cell
phone. The reply was that we don't have the money to
support another monthly bill.

I've heard of phones where you buy the minutes in advance.
Has anyone used such a phone, and which brand, where bought,
etc? If it was twenty bucks or so, I'd buy the phone
outright, and give it to them as a gift.

I believe if you have Verison or AT&T you can get an additional phone
on your account for about $10 a month.

No sure what my son pays for mom but he said my Tracfone deal is much
better. He also tells her to try to limit calls to the off hours or
weekends, whatever. I figure I'm paying a flat $8.25/month, can call
any time and have 1,200 minutes left and need to renew in Oct. They'll
roll over the old minutes so at the rate I call, it's not important that
I get a double deal. Not interested in text messaging or using phone as
a camera.