Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default OT - cell phone advice

RobertPatrick wrote:
Frank wrote in
:

windcrest wrote:
On Aug 11, 7:53 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
My parents are still able to drive, go shopping, eat out,
and so on. But, there have been a couple moments when the
car broke down. Or, one was out, and the other didn't know
why it was taking so long. I suggested they get a cell
phone. The reply was that we don't have the money to
support another monthly bill.

I've heard of phones where you buy the minutes in advance.
Has anyone used such a phone, and which brand, where bought,
etc? If it was twenty bucks or so, I'd buy the phone
outright, and give it to them as a gift.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

If you get a tracfone it is worthwhile to pay the extra $49 at time of
purchase to get "double minutes for life", with this plan every time
thereafter when you buy minutes they automatically double them. That
initial $49 pays for itself after your second replenish.

If all you need is basic communication then I can highly recommend a
tracfone.

I, too, have no problems with my Tracfone. Also live in a low reception
area where bars are minimal but it is equally bad for wife's phone with
Verizon.

My Tracfone is several years old and I would like to get a better
looking one but website gives no clues on how to do this. You do not
get the hand holding that Verizon or Sprint offer. Also updating
minutes is easier on internet than on phone.

You're going to have to call customer service. The Rep has to give you
special code numbers to enter into the new phone and to also transfer any
minutes from the old phone.
http://www.ehow.com/how_2125116_tran...one-units.html

That's what I have been reading. Would be nice if they automated. My
phone works fine, just looks almost antique.