Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default OT - cell phone advice

windcrest wrote:
On Aug 11, 7:53 am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
My parents are still able to drive, go shopping, eat out,
and so on. But, there have been a couple moments when the
car broke down. Or, one was out, and the other didn't know
why it was taking so long. I suggested they get a cell
phone. The reply was that we don't have the money to
support another monthly bill.

I've heard of phones where you buy the minutes in advance.
Has anyone used such a phone, and which brand, where bought,
etc? If it was twenty bucks or so, I'd buy the phone
outright, and give it to them as a gift.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

I have a tracfone, they are great. I get connections just fine and I
replenish it every 3 months or so.

If you get a tracfone it is worthwhile to pay the extra $49 at time of
purchase to get "double minutes for life", with this plan every time
thereafter when you buy minutes they automatically double them. That
initial $49 pays for itself after your second replenish.

If all you need is basic communication then I can highly recommend a
tracfone.

I have Virgin Mobile, which works out to around 8 bucks a month. But
with any pre-paid, you need to make sure it has coverage in the area
where it will be used. And you can't always trust the maps on the web
site. Virgin, for example, is really Sprint system, and has next-to-no
coverage down in NC where my sister lives, out at her house. She
returned hers and got one of the others. It works fine around SW MI and
southern IN, which covers most of the places I use it. I'll probably die
with several hundred bucks in unused minutes on it- you can set it to
top off automatically as needed (90 days or 20 bucks, whichever comes
first), so the phone never goes dead. Most of the time, it lives in my
briefcase- I only wear it when I am on call or traveling. It doesn't
have all the bells and whistles of a real cell phone, and is oval-ish
and silver instead of the current fashionable squared-off charcoal gray,
but it does what I need at a price I can live with. No Way would I pay
30-40 a month for a real cell phone that might not get used at all some
months. I try to fire this one up at least once a week, to see if I have
voicemail, but don't always remember.

--
aem sends...