Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default How to Attach Drop-In Sink

HeyBub wrote:
Perry Aynum wrote:
I am tiling a vanity countertop, and have a drop-in china sink. The
instructions say to set it with "sealant" which I assume means caulk.
Do I need anything else, such as adhesive, or are the plumbing
connections enough to hold it in place?

Adhesive is insufficient. There should be some method for a mechanical
connection to the countertop, typically clamping devices securing the sink
from underneath.

'Should be' and 'is current common practice' are not always the same
thing. The cheap builder-grade drop-ins I have seen lately have no
doohickeys on the bottom to mate with the clamps. The ring of putty or
caulk, and the downforce of the drain trap, are all that holds them in
place. The one in my bathroom is sorta floating right now- I popped the
caulk loose changing the trap, and never bothered to redo it.

Maybe somebody makes a gigantic C-shaped spring steel thing that you put
the drain tail through, that presses up against bottom of counter?

--
aem sends...