Posted to rec.woodworking
RonB[_2_] RonB[_2_] is offline

Default Best way to cut vertical slots through round posts?

On Aug 11, 6:59*pm, Swingman wrote:
RonB wrote:

* I suspect they are strung on "T-Posts". *T-Posts are an extruded metal
* shape with a large, flat plate welded along the length and near the
* bottom. *They are driven into the ground so the plate is buried and
* used for wire fences, usually barbed wire. *They might look a little
* spindly but they are a pretty effective and economic fence system.

And they make electrical insulators that fit on T-posts nicely for
smooth wire, electrified fences ... we used them a lot for temporarily
cross fencing a pasture to keep from overgrazing since they're so easy
to put up ... a 2' section of 2 7/8 production tubing, with a plate
welded across the top, and a couple of U shaped re-bar handles welded to
the sides, makes an effective fence post "driver".

Most horses will eventually walk right through a smooth wire fence
without electrification, and the propensity of a horse to suffer serious
injury from fencing being directionally proportional to the horses
worth, you really don't want barbed wire around most modern breeds.

--www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
KarlC@ (the obvious)

Yes, and this string of posts reminded me of a friend's misfortune
last year. One of her favorites was "horsing" around with a mate and
fell against a wooden fence. A board broke and partially impaled her
in the lower abdomen. She survived with surgery and some very tender
loving care.

The more I think about the posted fence plan, the more I dislike it.
Labor intensive and dangerous. That's probably why a lot of local
horse folks are building the welded fences. Smooth rails with curved
transitions.