Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Structured Wiring Systems - new wiki article

Phil Addison wrote:
On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 22:20:31 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:

Ahh I see. Does that mean you can't get short RJ11 to RJ11 patch leads?
Could you make them up from scratch from a length of phone cable, after
all, you must have had to crimp 4 RJ11s per 3 leads, so having 2 on
already seems a marginal benefit.

Indeed you can. I just went with what I had to hand - however I did not
cover it in detail in the article since it was not that important to the
concepts.

May be best to omit it altogether then, the bit about cutting into 3 had
me confused as you didn't say why into 3. I now realise it was because
the ones you had just happened to be 3x too long. Plus you advised
against DIYing patch leads and then did :-O

Prolly why I did not put it in the article.

Having said that - RJ11 patches with 2 wires are very quick and easy -
rj45 with 8 is far less so by the time you have got all the wires in the
right order, and trimmed to the right length, and then all in the socket
to the right depth at the same time etc.

--
Cheers,

John.