Posted to uk.d-i-y
Phil Addison Phil Addison is offline

Default Structured Wiring Systems - new wiki article

On Tue, 11 Aug 2009 22:20:31 +0100, John Rumm
wrote:

Phil Addison wrote:

Ahh I see. Does that mean you can't get short RJ11 to RJ11 patch leads?

Could you make them up from scratch from a length of phone cable, after
all, you must have had to crimp 4 RJ11s per 3 leads, so having 2 on
already seems a marginal benefit.

Indeed you can. I just went with what I had to hand - however I did not
cover it in detail in the article since it was not that important to the
concepts.

May be best to omit it altogether then, the bit about cutting into 3 had
me confused as you didn't say why into 3. I now realise it was because
the ones you had just happened to be 3x too long. Plus you advised
against DIYing patch leads and then did :-O

If you could "look through" from front to back you would see each socket
is tracked to a krone strip, and they alternate side to side to make
space for the strip of 8 punch down terminals which is wide than the
physical 8 way connector:

1 3 5
###### ###### ###### - krone strips on the back - odd numbers
_______________________
1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | - sockets on front

###### ###### ###### - krone strips on the back - even numbers
2 4 6

Aha, now I HAVE got it. The missing bit of know-how is that a krone
block is the same width as two RJ45 sockets so 2 krones one above the
other just fit in the space of the 2 RJ45s they serve. Just out of

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php?...RJ45Module.jpg

shows that quite well - you can see the outline of the RJ45 socket
clearly beside the punch down block.

I saw that first time and didn't relate it because there's nothing to
suggest the patch panel is like that, and the photo with the krones
turned through 90 degrees doesn't match it. Your ascii diagram is better
in the absence of a proper photo, possibly with a bit of text pointing
to the RJ45Module.jpg as an indication of how a pcb can be used to
connect them.

what do you mean by 'tracked'? Is it on a pcb, a film wire or
actual catx cable? Whatever it is still has to meet the catx spec.

A PCB. Again like in the module in the piccie above. The patch panel
just having a long narrow PCB.

OK

I will get another photo at some point. Alas I have not got any more
patch panels on my stock shelf, so will either have to wait, or go
unscrew one of mine from the cabinet.

mush mush heh-heh

Thanks for the additional clarification, of an already excellent article
- its taken me from "what thef' is structured cabling all about?" to "I
think I've got it"!!

Now all we need do is get to the "where can a buy one" and the job is done!

;-)

Err... there's just the little matter of needing to move furniture, lift
carpets, floorboards everywhere!! I'll have to stick with wireless, and
maybe get some homeplugs, for the time being. But least I know what I'm
missing now!

;-))

Phil