Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Rumm John Rumm is offline

Default Structured Wiring Systems - new wiki article

Ron Lowe wrote:

Good article.

ta.

There are a couple of things I'd be inclined to add:

1) 568B is the most common standard in use for fixed wiring, and I'd
suggest using that. The colour-coding on the back of your patch panel
there is marked up for both, that is pretty much standard.

I usually go for 568B, but I have come across some kit only marked in
one flavour or the other. Hence its probably better not to specify and
go with what matches what you have.

2) The way analog telephony is carried over structured cabling could be
expanded a bit, it's not always the case that the ring signal is
re-generated at the LAU. There are 3 different types of LAU: PABX
master, PSTN master, and Secondary. This may be worth a bit of
explanation. It may be also be worth linking to this page:

http://www.evonet.com/evonet/index.asp?Page=102

It can get quite complicated when you start dealing with digital/hybrid
phones as well... Perhaps its more accurate to say that the pin 3
"bell wire" is not usually carried over the structured cabling, but is
not always required either.

Oh, and I can't let this pass...

Lady Bracknell
An *Analog* pabx?
/Lady Bracknell

Get yerself an asterisk box, man!

I did look at the possibility, and compared to an Avaya or other similar
modern digital exchange it costs very little. However by the time you
look at the cost of a 16 port card, a PC (which to be fair I could
scrape together for nothing), and the power to run it, its quite
expensive compared to an analogue 4/16 PABX direct from Hong Kong.

--
Cheers,

John.