Posted to sci.electronics.repair,rec.audio.tech

Default Newsgroup death spiral

petrus bitbyter wrote:
I blocked the Googles already though I sometimes have to use the
Google groups to find the postings my providers newsservers have
missed. Of course I complained about that but the newsservers are
"only experimental services" without any guarantee. I dislike to pay
extra for newsserver only services and so far I did not find a good
free newsserver. Anyone else did?

Many people have commented positively about Mozarella which
has changed its name to: http://www.eternal-september.org/
It appears to be a reliable free service.

Nearly free is individual.net which is operated by the Free University
in Berlin. It costs 10 Euro per year and I find it to be completely
reliable. (No binaries, only text-based newsgroups)

NNTP (news) is not a handshaking, guaranteed service like
SMTP (email), so nobody can guarantee that every message
gets posted on every server. It is a peer-to-peer, store-n-
forward, best-effort kind of thing.

Complaining about the death of Usenet is an annual summer sport.