Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning,rec.woodworking,alt.woodworking
Swingman Swingman is offline

Default Best way to cut vertical slots through round posts?

Wood Guy wrote:
A friend wants to build a fence using round, 6" diam cedar posts and 1"
x 6" pine or spruce boards.

He wants to cut slots through the center of the posts (3 slots) that are
just large enough to slide the boards through. There are going to be
lots of posts - maybe 100 or more.

How would you go about forming these slots? What sort of tool?

Being raised on a horse farm and having used many types of fences, he
may want to rethink the round posts and the rail dimensions, unless he
wants to put up electric wire on the inside.

Those proposed 1 x 6 rails will not hold up to the inevitable horse
shenanigans ... ideally they need to be 1 1/2" thick and that will
obviously impact your plans to cut "slots" in your posts.

I like square posts for a wooden horse fence ... it is easier to replace
the inevitable broken rails if you nail (galvanized) them on. It is
difficult to replace rails that run through a post. I've had to deal
with this very thing using concrete posts and through rails, so DAMHIKT.

That said, you usually have to make the mistake to realize the wisdom of
experience ...

--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08