Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
justme[_2_] justme[_2_] is offline

Default CONCRETE ADVICE NEEDED

Tim, we have tunneled under the walk but it is getting tougher to do. I am
going to 'auger' it with a gasoline 6" auger and see it we can get more dirt
out to gain space.

Doing the concrete is the last resort.

Thanks for your help.

j/b

"Tim" wrote in message
m...

"justme" wrote in message
We have a pool with a concrete or cement walkway around it that is appx.
36" wide. We need to get to a leaking pipe underneath this walk.
I may want to jackhammer the concrete above where the pipe is leaking.

How can I saw this walk which is about 3" thick so that the jackhammer
doesn't crack it into jagged pieces beyond where I want to get to?

Check with your local rental yard. You need to saw the border of the area
to be removed, and break the center.

You may be able to score the walk with a skill saw, and break it gently
with something like an electric jack hammer. If the concrete is not sawed
all the way through, you stand a greater chance of breaking the part you
want to keep if using something aggressive like a sledge hammer.

If you rent a saw that will cut the concrete all the way through, you
should be able to break the concrete any way you choose.

If it's just 36" wide, it might be less work to tunnel under it. Sawing,
breaking, reforming, mixing and finishing concrete is pretty time
consuming. Plus you will always have an area that doesn't match the rest
of your walk.