Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry Mike Henry is offline

Default Freehand grinding of Lathe bits

.. .

"DoN. Nichols" wrote in message
On 2009-08-11, Doug White wrote:
"DoN. Nichols" wrote in
:

On 2009-08-10, Mike Henry wrote:

[ ... ]

Glendo runs their diamond wheel slow, 300 rpm I think, and I've used
it on HSS for a touchup with no ill effects. Do you think that the
slow speed is OK?

What is the diameter of the wheel? RPM alone does not suffice.
You need the SFPM (Surface Feet Per Minute) to judge speeds.

They have 5" & 6" wheels, depending on the model, and they have the
diamond on the flat face. They will be definitely be running a good bit
slower than an 8" regular grinding wheel, especially because you don't
spend all your time out at the edge. They are also designed to run wet.

O.K. So surface speed would be a maximum of 471 SFM at the
outer edge of the 6" wheel. The running wet makes a big difference,
too. That would probably work well enough even with HSS. (Harold --
does this sound workable?)

Enjoy,
DoN.

Yep, sure does, DoN. While I've never used one of the machines, a
friend does, and he's had no problems that would otherwise be very
evident.

Glendo has been around a fairly long time ( 20 years?) so I'd think
problems would have made themselves known by now if they were common.

FWIW, my Glendo has been used mostly for HSS for the past 10 years and I
just used it to grind a taper on heavy wall glass tubing. The job went real
quick so it would seem that the diamond on the wheel is still "sharp".