Charlie Self

Default James Krenov and art furniture

Jay Windley writes:

Frank Lloyd Wright recognized that furniture was an appendage to the
immovable structure of a building. And so for each of his houses or
buildings, he designed the furniture that would go into it, so that it would
be one single expression of his artistic intent. But have you ever sat on
some of his high-backed chairs? They're gawdawfully uncomfortable. Do they
look nice? Without question. Would I put that in my home? Not if I
respected my guests, I wouldn't.

Some of the living room benches and other furniture, including built-in bedroom
furniture, at Wright's Kentuck Knob is downright uncomfortable to even look at,
at least for me. The house makes me feel like crouching because of low door
lintels and narrow passageways...Wright was said to be height challanged and
slender. I used to be short, but then I turned 12. I used to slender, but then
I quit smoking.

Anyway, the concept is brilliant, but like the construction at Falling Water,
the implementation leaves a bit to be desired (at FW, they've spent OVER $4
million bucks to restore a house that cost about $100,000 to build, IIRC).

I love the way the two houses look and they way they are set into their
respective landscapes, but I'd prefer not to even think seriously of living in
them.

Charlie Self

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfils the same
function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of
things." Sir Winston Churchill