Posted to alt.home.repair
Frank[_13_] Frank[_13_] is offline

Default OT - cell phone advice

Stormin Mormon wrote:
My parents are still able to drive, go shopping, eat out,
and so on. But, there have been a couple moments when the
car broke down. Or, one was out, and the other didn't know
why it was taking so long. I suggested they get a cell
phone. The reply was that we don't have the money to
support another monthly bill.

I've heard of phones where you buy the minutes in advance.
Has anyone used such a phone, and which brand, where bought,
etc? If it was twenty bucks or so, I'd buy the phone
outright, and give it to them as a gift.

I have little need for a cell phone but have a Tracfone. Wife had
bought it for her emergency use but gave it to me when son put her on
his family plan which probably costs him $20 month.

http://www.tracfone.com/index.jsp

You can get into a years plan for $99 which includes minutes.
Cost per minute might be as much as a quarter but if you use as little
as I do, it is a bargain and when you renew, they roll the minutes over.
I keep the phone in the car or carry it when out in the woods. Never
keep it on for incoming calls and now have 1,200 minutes I don't know
what to do with and need to renew in Oct. Still a very cheap insurance
option.