George E. Cawthon

Default Wood Question: Which is stronger, a round post or square post?

Bob Gramza wrote:

"McQualude" wrote in message ...
: (Fred the Red Shirt) said:
:
: I found this question in another group (misc.rural)...
: Which is stronger, a round post or square post? Assume the
: posts are both made from the same wood and are both equivalent
: in width.
:
: Answering a different question, here but:
:
: If you start with a tree trunk which is typically what you start
: with for a fence post, it will be stronger if you leave it round
: than if you square it up.
:
: No, that is the question. I gave the same answer you gave, but not
: quite as clearly perhaps. I was hoping that someone would be able to
: support it, because I have no proof and I don't think math will
: answer this question.
: --
: McQualude

I would think that utilities would use square telephone poles if they were stronger instead of
leaving them round. They spend a lot of money and resources on the poles they push into the ground.

You are kidding? Making a square pole would require taking
a large round pole and removing wood. Why would they spend
money to shave wood off and make the pole smaller and less
strong? You do know that the poles start out round, right?