Posted to uk.d-i-y
[email protected] tinnews@isbd.co.uk is offline

Default Irrigation using speedfit or similar, ideas wanted

AA wrote:
On 9 Aug, 19:34, wrote:
I'm thinking of fitting semi-permanent pipework in our greenhouses
(and maybe some other places) with a time switched pump to provide
irrigation. Â*The pump will use rainwater collected from the roof in a
tank which will be topped up by mains water with a simple ball valve
controlling that. Â*(it may need to be slightly clever so that the
mains only gets turned on when the tank is, say, only a quarter full).

An additional reason for using a pump is that our mains water pressure
is very high and tends to destroy things which then gets expensive in
lost water. Â*A system as above will at least limit the rate of loss
considerably.

So, in the greehouses I was thinking of running plastic around the
edges and having some sort of small bore feeds to individual plants,
pots, etc. Â*Can anyone suggest a practical way to connect small bore
feeds to plastic pipe? Â*I know there are systems sold for doing this
but my experience with them has been that they're not very robust or
long lasting.

--
Chris Green

http://www.autopot.co.uk/products.php?pid=aquabox

The water inlet in the aquavalve is very fine so some prefiltering
required for rainwater, aquavalve is quite an interesting idea in
itself , demand led but allows complete drying out before refresh,
think principle similar to toilet cistern, gravity fed, no power
required.

That looks interesting, but quite expensive if the prices of their
other products are anything to go by. I'll keep watching the site
though.

Thanks.

--
Chris Green