Posted to uk.d-i-y
Cicero Cicero is offline

Default neighbour's extractor fan

On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 15:42:31 -0700, poll wrote:

The boundary of my property is at my neighbour's house wall. Her kitchen
extractor fan has been vented through this wall for some time and when the
fan is on the vent flaps open directly into my property and it causes a
real nuisance with cooking and cigarette smells coming straight onto my
patio and then into my house through any windows I have open.

Last summer, realising that an extension and extensive renovations to the
property were imminent, I went next door and, trying to keep things
amicable, pointed out that the smells were causing a problem and asked if
the owner would reposition the vent elsewhere when the kitchen was
reorganised.

The building work has now almost finished- planning permission took longer
than expected- but the extractor vent has not been altered and the smells
continue. The architect involved has written to me to say that it was not
possible to re-site the extractor (unlikely as the kitchen is enormous!)
and sitting outside is not possible for me and mine when the extractor is
on- plus it has been murder in the hot weather with all windows closed!

Does anyone know if there rules about the positioning of extractor fan
vents? Thanks

Try a call to your local Council describing the nuisance. They probably
have quite limited powers but it's doubtful if they would pass plans which
actually created a nuisance or allowed one to continue.

A bit of inconvenience for your neighbour's (lazy /
inconsiderate) architect is not a legitimate reason to dump their odours
into your home.

Cic.

Using Ubuntu Linux
Windows shown the door