Posted to alt.home.repair
Tony Hwang Tony Hwang is offline

Default Phone cable repair

benick wrote:

"Percival P. Cassidy" wrote in message
SteveB wrote:

My excellent track hoe operator cut my phone cable. He called a
buddy who works for the phone company, and he says the phone company
charges $300 to come fix it. It is a copper shielded 4 line wire.
It has some goo on the inside. It is a buried line not in a conduit.

Does the price seem high? I know I could splice the wires, but a ten
foot section was just destroyed, and I don't have any of that
specialized wire. And then there's the issue of weather and water.

What would you do?

Did anybody call Miss Digg (or whatever it's called where you are) to
flag all the utility cables and pipes before the job was started?

My *guess* is that if that was not done, or even if it was done but
the equipment operator cut the cable anyway, the phone co. *must* be
notified (it's their cable) so *they* can fix it -- and they will bill
you (or the operator) for whatever their normal charge is.

Perce

Around here it is called "Dig Safe" and it is MANDATORY to call them and
have them mark everything...It is a free service and fines and repair
cost apply if you don't comply...It sounds like he didn't do
that....Probably no permit either and paying the machine operator
cash...Am I right ??/

Good thing it only cost you a 100 bucks...It COULD have been much , MUCH
worse......

Hi,
Same here in Alberta. One Call is the name. They come out and mark gas,
power, phone, cable with different colors.