Posted to alt.home.repair
Oscar Oscar is offline

Default Ridiculous FHA rules

"rile" wrote in message
We are selling a house to a buyer using an FHA mortgage. There is a
rule, because of lead paint, that any house built before 1978 cannot
have any "peeling, checking or flaking paint". The property has no
lead paint....all buildings have been repainted since the late 80's.
An inspector came out, rejected it for that reason. My son and I
scraped, power washed, scraped again, and painted. They guy has come
back two more times and still rejected it. All he does is walk around,
take pictures and make a recommendation. He doesn't touch the paint,
scrape it or anything. All of the paint is tight. The worst is, the
buyers don't want us to do the painting...they want to repaint it a
different color.
Any ideas....we are at the ends of our wits.

Since you already agreed to sell it FHA to a buyer, I hate to tell ya,
you're at their mercy.

I had a property sold FHA, because I thought it would be best being a lower
value house. It was in the area of a military base. Huge mistake on my
part. When I first signed the contract, I attempted to have a dollar amount
affixed of $4,500 for repairs. FHA won't play games, you do what they say.