Posted to alt.home.repair
Smitty Two Smitty Two is offline

Default lawn edger

In article ,
Nate Nagel wrote:

Smitty Two wrote:
So the new place is in a civilized neighborhood, and I'm thinking of
acquiring a real edger. She has a manual type but it's tiring to use. I
edged once with the string trimmer but went through a lot of string.

Craigslist has some used electric and gas powered edgers; I'm inviting
feedback on brands or styles to look for or avoid.

does your sidewalk have a whole mess of overgrowth? For the first
go-round I've found it easier to use a sidewalk scraper and just cut
through all the stuff at the edge of the sidewalk. edger is really only
good for neatening up after it's already relatively neat.

Hmm, it's not too wild yet. Maybe an inch of overgrowth since I hit it
with the string trimmer about six weeks ago. I guess that represents
about two or more inches of grass growth, since I did have a 1" (or
thereabouts) dirt buffer.