Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Sylvia Else Sylvia Else is offline

Default Problem with Sony KV-T25SZ8 TV when turning on

Meat Plow wrote:
On Mon, 10 Aug 2009 11:32:24 +1000, Sylvia Else
wrote:

Jamie wrote:
Sylvia Else wrote:

This television displays a strange image and sound distortion just
after it's been turned on, as shown in this 5 second video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=usQFxTJ04s4

It may do this several times, and, rather disconcertingly, seems to be
slowly getting worse.

Note - the slight flickering is an artefact of the video recording.

I'm using a computer output to show the fault, but I get the same
behaviour on broadcast channels if the computer is completely
disconnected, and turned off.

I suspect a warming up effect. Any ideas?

Sylvia.
Yup, that's High Voltage arcing around in there.

Ouch!
Might me a good idea to have some one that knows more
about it to take a look.

I've disconnected it from the mains. Later on today (to allow any caps
to discharge) I'll take the back off and see whether there's any obvious
reason for arcing - dead insects, loose connections.

Beyond that, I have the problem of deciding whether it's worth paying to
repair a 10 year old CRT TV

Sylvia.

Remember the CRT can store a nasty zap. It might be an easy fix by
cleaning off the HV components. Over time to build up on HV parts I've
seen airborne contaminants cause arcs. But again watch the anode
connection on the CRT.

It would help if I could see where it was arcing, but like all good
intermittent faults, it only seems to happen when no one's looking at
the circuitry. I've given it a general clean out. We'll see....

Sylvia.